Background

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

387/365

Reality.


Thankful for the reality of Christ. In high school Mr. Dean would daily encourage us to see His reality-- and it's amazing how when you stop and look for God's hand in the day to day it's impossible to miss.

Been so encouraged as I've been studying Hosea. I was encouraged by a sister to spend extra time in a book over the break and she chose Hosea. Been so blessed- and encouraged, and rebuked.

There are several things I've been learning.
 1. I am not a theologian and I'm really thankful that I can ask my brothers-in-law a million off-the-wall questions regarding this allegorical opening to the book.
2. God loves me so much. Just as Israel was wayward and God wooed them (chapter 2- it's beautiful- please read it!), Christ is constantly wooing my heart and drawing me to Himself. Even days when I don't want to pursue God I know He is pursuing me.

Over the last few weeks I've been working through portions of Ps 119 and one portion I've come to love is verses 25-32. "My soul clings to the dust; give me life according to your word! When I told of my ways, you answered me; teach me your statues! Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works. My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me  according to your word! Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law! I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I set your rules before me. I cling to your testimonies, O LORD; let me not be put to shame! I will run in the way of your commandments when you enlarge my heart." (ps. I am terrible at memorizing Scripture, but I am telling you, it has really been strengthening my relationship with God. So needed- I need more.)

Tonight I was reading in the Valley of Vision and I came across a prayer that goes so clearly along with both the first few chapters in Hosea, and also the passage in Psalm 119. (It's so neat how the Lord starts working and pulling so many different passages/prayers/songs together to work in your life in a particular area. Talk about the reality of Christ. (And being thankful for reality is how I got started with this whole tangled thought process.))



The Awakened Sinner (Valley of Vision)


O my forgetful soul 
Awake from thy wandering dream; turn from chasing vanities, look inward, forward, upward, view thyself, reflect upon thyself, who and what thou art, why here, what thou must soon be. (Hosea: Israel was at this exact spot- chasing vanity, wandering from God. Psalm 119: My soul clings to the dust- my soul clings to vanity!)
Thou art a creature of God, formed and furnished by him, lodged in a body like a shepherd in his tent; Dost thou not desire to know God's ways? (Psalm 119:29- put false ways from me and graciously teach me your law!)
O God, Thou injured, neglected, provoked Benefactor when I think upon thy greatness and thy goodness (Ps 119:27 Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works) I am ashamed at my insensibility, I blush to lift up my face for I have foolishly erred.  (Hello! ISRAEL!! Foolishly erred! And also, Ps 119: the whole idea is that my soul clings to dust but I need life in Christ, in God's Word)
Shall I go on neglecting thee, when every one of thy rational creatures should love thee, and take every care to please thee?
I confess that thou hast not bee in all my thoughts, that the knowledge of thyself as the end of my being has been strangely overlooked, that i have never seriously considered my heart-need. 
But although my mind is perplexed and divided, my nature perverse, yet my secret dispositions still desire thee. Let me not delay to come to thee; Break the fatal enchantment that binds my evil affections, and bring me to a happy mind that rests in thee, for thou hast made me and canst not forget me. (Hosea 2- Christ is wooing us DESPITE the fact that we are perplexed, divided, and our nature is perverse.)
Let thy Spirit teach me the vital lessons of Christ, for I am slow to learn; And hear thou my broken cries.  (Ps 119:29- Put false ways far from me and GRACIOUSLY teach me your law.)
Amen.

So, to end this very random string of thoughts, a song that came to me as I was studying through this is The Prodigal. I've attached for your encouragement... be blessed. (And I'm sorry that this is animated...)


Thankful for the reality of Christ displayed through the Word and the Spirits working of the Word in our hearts. Thankful for the book of Hosea and the picture of Christ wooing Israel though they had turned from Him. He is doing that constantly in my life. Thankful that though my soul clings to the dust (Ps 119), Christ can give me life according to the Word! Thankful that though I so often ignore God, run from His working in my life, seek satisfaction in people, objects, activities other than Him, he is waiting to accept me back like the Prodigal. Thankful.

1 comment:

  1. hmmmm . . . ". . . though I . . . seek satisfaction in people, objects, activities other than Him, He is waiting to accept me back like the Prodigal."

    There's so much to talk about! We must get together soon . . . .

    I so enjoy your writing!

    ReplyDelete