Background

Thursday, December 8, 2011

374/365

Galatians 5

I just love it... I love my power group. Tonight we finished up our study on Galatians 5 and it was such an encouragement. So many things I could share...

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,g entleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another."

Tonight our discussion left me so encouraged. I'm so thankful that walking in the Spirit is a process- and that we will never "arrive" or have it all together, but as we walk with God His Spirit is going to change us supernaturally. I'm so thankful that we are no longer enslaved to our flesh, but that through the Cross we now have access to victory through Christ. What an encouragement to know that though we fail constantly, God has granted forgiveness and the ability to walk free from our flesh. We are new, pure, beautiful children in Christ. Free!

I love the fact that the first evidence of the Spirit mentioned  is LOVE. We looked at 1 Corinthians 13 and tossed around ideas on love. What is it? The world looks at love as a feeling summarized by "I'm head over heels for this person... they give me butterflies and make me feel like I'm on top of the world", they take care of me, or we meet each others' needs. But what is true, biblical love? ...It's patience, kindness, it doesn't envy or boast; it's not arrogant or rude. It doesn't insist on its own way, isn't irritable or resentful. Doesn't rejoice at wrongdoing but at truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things endures all things. Love never ends.

When we start to love the way that God intended us to love (which is an act enabled to us through the Spirit... and walking in the Spirit), all else falls into place. I know we get tired of hearing "it's all about love" and this "feel-good" gospel, but the truth is, God is love. And as we are walking with Christ, displaying Him to the world, we should be people who display God's love.

That's just the beginning of our discussion... it went on and on. So, encouraged tonight and once again thankful for my sisters and our time together in the Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment