Background

Monday, November 21, 2011

357/365

Today in my "Journey of Thanks" I want to share a story. (I'm a terrible story teller, so bare with me...) :)

Several years ago there was a girl who came to Clemson to get her MBA, and she wandered through the doors of my church. We met and became fast friends. Being polar opposites, it's funny we even enjoyed hanging out. I mean, we didn't share much in common! She liked guns, and I liked guns... but a very different type. ;) (kidding.......) We hung out with the college group, went to activities, occasionaly she would come over and bring her guitar and we would sing and sit around worshiping God together.

God always brings the right friends into your life at the perfect time! Those early years Steph went through some tough days- in fact we both did. Though our struggles were completely different, we had one thing in common. Christ.  God knew that the trials would bring us closer to Him and teach us our need for community and our need for the Word.

Most of you know the reason I started this little blog. God brought me to a point in life where He took my plans and threw them out the window and I was at square one. I went through times of anger, times of frustration, times of thanks, but often it came back to lonely, difficult, angry nights. And I knew that something in my life needed to change. Being discontent with God's plans for my life was not a response that should have been coming from my heart-- especially knowing the truths that "God's plans are higer than mine" (which is such a blessing!) and knowing that "the Lord is Good and all He does is GOOD!". I needed to stop and look around and value the things that GOD HAD blessed me with (which, over the last year.... we can all look back and see that I'm so so SO blessed) instead of focusing on what, in my mind was snatched away.

This is where God used Steph in my life. She started staying here in Clemson alot on the weekends and she'd bring her guitar and her Sovereign Grace books (all 3... big... books!), and we would sit in my room for hours, read the scripture at the top of the page, and we'd learn the song. I can't tell you how many hours we've sung those songs, sometimes even forcefully through tears. And as if that wasn't enough, she then started nagging me about memorizing Scripture... it's been like boot camp. I mean, come on Steph-- leave the military stuff at drill!! 

I can honestly say that because I know Steph, I love God more. God has used Steph in this last year to point me to the Word, to call me out when I need a kick, to tell me when I'm not thinking right. This is how it should be... this is how all of our relationships should be. Brothers and sisters pushing each other to love and pursue God. To love and pursue God ALONE.

With all of that said.... I want to wish a happy happy HAPPY birthday to my dear sister, Stephanie Jones. :) I thank God for your life- for how he's taken you and just worked a tremendous transformation in your heart which has spilled over to so many lives including my own. God's so kind to have brought you here-- the Campbell Clan is thankful for you! (I speak for all of us!)

And on that note... here is a nice little poem for you. (and just so you know, this is the first poem with co-authors. Don't tell my mom, she might be jealous we didn't do this for her)


STEPH YOU ARE GREAT!!!! (free verse- insert by Sarah)

To my favorite Steph Jones
One day back in the month of August we met
I thought to my self- "that girl, she needs a friend..."
But the truth is, I needed a friend.
Hung out a little
Got along just fine, but before you read my mind
let me throw in a shake-up.
'Cause this girl, she had a wake-up!!!
Now she sends me verses
sings me songs, tells me "this is what I've been readin' "
And let me tell ya, what she been readin' is what
I BE NEEDIN'.
So Steph Jones, on this day of the year for you
let me tell you-- we've been through
the good, the bad, the ugly....
but the best thing we've been through
IS THE WORD. The end.
-Scampizzle

PS we had a surprise birthday party for Steph tonight and it was a HIT! :) So many people are so thankful for your life-- happy birthday sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment