Background

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

134/365

I know this seems odd, but I have a random fact of history for my blog today. Does anyone know the importance of April 12th in American history? Well for those of you who don’t waste your brain with boring and dull history facts, today is the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Civil War. On this date in 1861, Confederate forces (actually Citadel cadets fired the first shots) opened fire on the Union garrison stationed at Fort Sumter marking the beginning of the bloodiest four years of our nation’s history. Random, I know, but it’s still a pretty important day in history :)

So a second random history fact I’ll share today concerns my own little hometown of Clemson. (Well, technically it’s Pendleton, but they are pretty much one in the same). There was a famous Confederate general named Thomas Jackson who, during the first battle of Bull Run, earned the nickname “Stonewall”. At one point in the battle when things were not going well for the Confederates, Brigadier General Barnard Elliot Bee, Jr. caught a glimpse of Jackson and exclaimed to his troops “there stands Jackson like a stone wall. Let’s rally behind the Virginians!” It JUST so happens that in the past three days I was able to see the graves of BOTH of these men, Jackson lying in Lexington, VA (which we passed on our way back from Charlottesville) and Bee resting in Pendleton (which I just so happened to visit today). Here are pictures of both their graves...


Bernard E Bee is SOMEWHERE in there.... :)

Stonewall Jackson... (as posted earlier this week)

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHA this makes me laugh. Seriously Brient, I am worried about you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alli - I am SUPER jealous you accomplished this incredible historical feat!! You're pretty much my hero at the moment. Way to get into the Civil War Anniversary spirit!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, if i didn't know any better, I would think Brient wrote this. He's rubbing off on you, Alli!

    ReplyDelete