Background

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

493/365

Been in the design mode for about the last... well, 6 months or so. This next week our office renovation should be complete and then we'll be moving over the next month. I can't wait to post before and after pictures- hard to believe it's even the same building. That project was a blast to work on for me because mom and I have designed it from the blueprints to the door knobs. The builders we have worked with have been tremendous and it's been a great experience.

I've been taking a furniture refinishing class at Under the Willow Tree in Pendleton, SC which has definitely been peaking my design interest. I have a hard time not dreaming of refinishing every piece of furniture in any antique store. I am trying to remember that restoration is often better than doing faux finishes, but man... faux finishes are so much fun and so in style now. The key is, on the more inexpensive pieces of your home, go big and fun; on the staple pieces of your home, go classy and timeless. It's much easier to replace a throw pillow or a mantle piece than it is to replace your couch and love seat or your kitchen cabinets.

The NEW house project has been a MONSTER, but such a blessing. It's been so neat to see how the Lord has brought everything together so smoothly. We are working with an incredible builder (again) and they have been so helpful in keeping things moving smoothly. Most of the "unsatisfactory" list from the home inspection has been addressed, and the place is starting to come together. Tomorrow the hardwoods will be installed in the den and kitchen, and then all of the floors will be refinished and will look brand spankin' old/new. I'm looking forward to walking in next week to clean surfaces.

I would also like to announce that this morning the new gutters were installed. I never knew I would be SO excited about gutters! Never. Knew.

Today mom has been laboring over the fireplace inside. I absolutely love the brick. I know it's very popular to paint interior brick right now (always has been) and while I love the painted brick look, the red brick in my den is just too pretty to put a brush to. I'm looking forward to using creative juices and making the mantle a piece of art. Not sure yet what look I'm going for, but I have a couple of weeks to think over it.

Yesterday I had a design appointment and am doing some consulting work with a lady here in Clemson. Carpet samples and color decks are going to consume some of my weekend. I'm excited and thankful for the opportunity to do design work on the side.

SO very thankful the Lord has given me some fun experiences in the last 6 months to use my training and really one of my great passions. . . design. So blessed to have the job I have and to be working in the finance industry, so thankful for my dad and his willingness to train me to think soundly and carefully in business, and so thankful that I'm able to use the design bone in my body on the side (as a bonus!). Very thankful.

Be on the look out for pictures of my crazy house-life. Pending. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment